What is a Birth Doula/Professional Labor Companion?
A Doula provides non-clinical, personal, private care for a woman (single or with partner) during the pregnancy, labor and birthing phases. A Doula provides emotional and physical support and can make suggestions for labor progress, helps with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort.
“If a Doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it” Dr. Marshall Klaus
What are the Benefits of having a professional Doula?
- 60% reduction in epidurals
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use
- 30% reduction in analgesia use
- 25% shorter labor
- 50% reduction in cesarean rates
*From Mothering the Mother, Klaus, Kennell and Klaus
Why would you want to hire me as your Birth Doula/Professional Labor Companion?
I love my work as a Doula. I have a passion for helping parents-to-be whether you choose a natural birth, or an epidural/medicated birth. It gives me great satisfaction in being able to assist and help Moms (single or with partner), Dads/Partners throughout your pregnancy, labor and birthing experience. It is such an honor to be a part of your incredible journey.
My philosophy is simply “Whatever makes Mom happy.” This is your birth experience, not mine. My work as a HypnoBirthing® Instructor/Practitioner and a Clinical Hypnotherapist will also assist you in achieving a wonderful birth experience. Call or email me for a consultation. Consultation fee of $35 to be applied towards your doula fee.
What do I offer in my Birth Doula package?
- Two prenatal Birthing Hypnosis sessions (Also available if I am not your doula. See Hypnotherapy page).
- Attendance at your labor and birth.
- Remaining with you for one to two hours after the birth to help you get settled and to establish breastfeeding (if required).
- One postpartum visit to discuss the birth and with any luck, I get to hold and snuggle your baby.
- Birth record.
- Welcoming as many emails and phone calls that you may require with any questions or concerns that you may have before or after the birth of your baby. Sometimes it just feels good to chat and talk about things.
My Fee for my Birth Doula service is $1690.00 for new clients. My previous doula clients will be discounted $125. Feel free to ask about an interest free payment plan if required. Please note that 10% of your fee will be donated to a local charity.
Note–Postpartum Doula Services may be available upon request.